Australia - Working Holiday

Please use this link to open programme description

What types of visas are issued for Working Holiday in Australia?

Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417); Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462);

Who is eligible for Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417)?

The Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417) is only available to people who hold valid passports from the following countries:

  • 1 UK
  • 2 Belgium
  • 3 Canada
  • 4 Republic of Cyprus
  • 5 Denmark
  • 6 Estonia
  • 7 Finland
  • 8 France
  • 9 Germany
  • 10 HSKAR*
  • 11 Republic of Ireland
  • 12 Italy
  • 13 Japan
  • 14 Republic of Korea
  • 15 Malta
  • 16 Netherlands
  • 17 Norway
  • 18 Sweden
  • 19 Taiwan
*Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (includes British National Overseas passport holders).

What should I do to get Working Holidays Visa (subclass 417)?

  • be outside Australia when you apply and, when your visa is granted;
  • not have entered Australia on a Working Holiday visa before;
  • be aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) at the time of applying;
  • be applying no more than 12 months before your internship

What Does The Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417) Allow You To Do?

  • enter Australia within 12 months of grant
  • stay for up to 12 months
  • leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid;
  • work in Australia for up to 6 months with each employer
  • study for up to 4 months.
  • extend your stay by another 12-months by working 3 months in a Specified Role, e.g fruit picking
If you gain a 12-month Visa extension, you may return to work for a further 6 months for an employer with whom you worked on your first Working Holiday visa.

Who is eligible for Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)?

The Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462) is available only to tertiary educated people aged 18 to 30 who hold valid passports from:

  • 1. USA
  • 2. Chile
  • 3. Malaysia
  • 4. Thailand
  • 5. Turkey
Valid up to 12 months, the visa enables you to supplement the cost of your travels in Australia through periods of temporary or casual employment.

What Does The Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462) Allow You To Do?

  • enter Australia at any time within 3 months of the visa grant date
  • stay for up to 12 months in Australia
  • leave and re–enter Australia any number of times in the 12 months from the date of first entry
  • undertake temporary employment in Australia
  • study for up to 4 months
Unfortunately, it is not possible to qualify for a visa extension by working in regional Australia. This option is only available under the Working Holiday visa (Subclass 417).

What will be my living costs in Australia?

At the low-cost end of travel, if you camp or stay in hostels, cook your own meals, restrain your urge for entertainment and move around by public transport, you could probably eke out an existence on $70 to $80 per day; for a budget that realistically enables you to have a good time, aim for $100 per day.

Global Choices. Contact information

Global Choices, 146 Omega Works, 4 Roach Road, London E3 2GY, United Kingdom
Tel: (+ 44) 208 533 2777 (UK)
Tel.: (+1) 646 929 4656 (USA)
Fax: (+ 44) 870 330 5955

Online near you: Follow Global Choices UK on twitter Global Choices Facebook page

We are glad to be affiliated and associated with the following organisations:
Find out more about Global Choices affiliations